Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)

Recently some good friends of ours discovered they have a plethora of food allergies to challenge them, including allergies to gluten, dairy and eggs.  After having baked a bunch of goodies for my husbands work, including a few great gluten-free recipes that I had some help finding, I had a few ingredients leftover and decided to try making a dessert my allergic friends could enjoy as well.  I used a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe I'd tried before and make a few changes.  The cookies turned out so soft and moist and delicious that I was asked to share the recipe, and decided I should probably share it with everybody!


Gluten-free, Dairy-free and Egg-free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Land O'Lakes Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups Gluten-free Flour Blend (I used Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour, which is a pre-done blend, but people used to baking gluten-free usually find making their own flour blend to be easier on the wallet)
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup vegan margarine (I use Becel Vegan Margarine which is lactose-free and gluten-free)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg substitutes (after a little online research I decided to use 2 different easy egg replacers to make up each egg; the first I replaced with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of water, the second I replaced with 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce)
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla (pure vanilla extract is gluten-free)
1 package (12 ounce or 2 cups) gluten-free dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips (I used Enjoy Life Mega Chunks)

Directions
Heat oven to 375°F.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in a bowl.  Set aside.
Beat butter, brown sugar and sugar in a large bowl at medium speed until creamy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture until well mixed.  Stir in chocolate chips/chunks.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 9-12 minutes or until edges start to brown (do not overbake).  Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.


Recipe yields 3 1/2 to 4 dozen cookies.  Store in an airtight container (if you don't eat them all first!)

4 comments:

  1. mmmm i will try this out for sure! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Several posts to read AND a GF recipe! What a lucky day! Glad I popped over to see if anything had been updated! AND a shout-out. I can't believe it. haha.... I went GF a few months ago and can't believe how great I feel! So thanks. Off to try this recipe!- angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome, i'm glad the recipe has been well received :) let me know what you think of them!

      Delete
  3. Great! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I really like that.


    SyncVisas

    ReplyDelete